~JOYRIDE K9 *REMOTE* K9NW EDUCATION~

Kimberly Buchanan
Keymaster

And you’re doing a great job! 🙂 I’m just here to help you to be even better. 😉

I can see now that Prim was probably tracking instead of crittering but she was also likely multi-tasking. She is a way cool dog! And you can watch how her mind thinks, despite the insecurities of her environment, she does focus on the searching task even thru some of those distractions.

There are times to step into the dog and times to step back. We often work close to the dogs on vehicles to “help” them detail closely and not chase odor off into space. Once a dog understands how to work a vehicle we can usually let the dog search more freely because they will naturally take charge and work in a way that they do best. In an exterior, however, unless you really want the dog to detail a specific area, you are better off standing back and letting the dog discover how to work back to the odor. If you don’t think your dog has the skills you can begin with a more simple search but it’s important to let them figure it out.

I’m a big believer in giving the dogs the opportunities and allowing them the freedom to make their own decisions so they can discover how to lead the way and how they can control a search.

It’s all good! I love watching your teamwork. 🙂

Kimberly Buchanan
Joyride K9 Dog Training